Can’t speak for the quality of these books, but I figure that free books are free books and they are worth the read for anyone with an interest in mythology!
Note: All of these books are free as of this writing and most are public domain, but always double check the price…
I love you guys. These words are for you, and also for myself.
I thought that by the time I actually got a creative job in the animation industry I would surely feel… like less of an imposter. Nope. Often times when I get an assignment I experience a moment of pure terror….
- Nymbler - very random, first names only, lots of options
- Behind the Name - can narrow by place of origin, can give you first + middle and surname, one option per refresh
- Fake Name Generator - can narrow by country, gives you first and surname, also gives a random address
- Seventh Sanctum Quick Name Generator - can give you up to 50 first, sometimes middle, and surnames at once
- NameGeneratorFun: Character - narrow by ethnicity; gives you full name, personality, MBTI, and character traits
- Be A Better Writer: Character Name Generator - very quick, just one option
- Jim Wegryn: Fiction Names - one male + one female name per refresh
- List of Random Names - narrow by gender, first + surnames, alliteration option, gives up to 50 at a time
- Language Is A Virus: Character Name Generator - one at a time, first + middle + surname
- Random Name Generator - up to 100 options, narrow by gender, can choose rarity
- Baby Name Genie - one option per refresh, a little slow
- Dungeons & Dragons Character Name Generator - lots of random narrowing options
- Random Names - simple site, no narrowing options, no surnames, 3 at a time (but if you scroll down there’s a more advanced version)
- Bounty Name Generator - one random option, gives first name + meaning
- Baby Name Generator - narrow by basic origin, first + up to 3 middle names
- Hipster Baby Name Generator - gives some really unique options, can show up to 50, no surname
- Random Baby Names - just gives you a bunch of random first names organised by gender
Hope that helps!
Obscure Color Words
- albicant: whitish; becoming white
- amaranthine: immortal; undying; deep purple-red colour
- aubergine: eggplant; a dark purple colour
- azure: light or sky blue; the heraldic colour blue
- celadon: pale green; pale green glazed pottery
- cerulean: sky-blue; dark blue; sea-green
- chartreuse: yellow-green colour
- cinnabar: red crystalline mercuric sulfide pigment; deep red or scarlet colour
- citrine: dark greenish-yellow
- eburnean: of or like ivory; ivory-coloured
- erythraean: reddish colour
- flavescent: yellowish or turning yellow
- greige: of a grey-beige colour
- haematic: blood coloured
- heliotrope: purplish hue; purplish-flowered plant; ancient sundial; signalling mirror
- hoary: pale silver-grey colour; grey with age
- isabelline: greyish yellow
- jacinthe: orange colour
- kermes: brilliant red colour; a red dye derived from insects
- lovat: grey-green; blue-green
- madder: red dye made from brazil wood; a reddish or red-orange colour
- mauve: light bluish purple
- mazarine: rich blue or reddish-blue colour
- russet: reddish brown
- sable: black; dark; of a black colour in heraldry
- saffron: orange-yellow
- sarcoline: flesh-coloured
- smaragdine: emerald green
- tilleul: pale yellowish-green
- titian: red-gold, reddish brown
- vermilion: bright red
- virid: green
- viridian: chrome green
- xanthic: yellow
- zinnober: chrome green
She’s the best of both worlds!
She’s fierce, strong, courageous. She can keep up with him, they work well together. She’s quick on her feet, and resourceful. She knows who he is and what he is, and still she stays.
But she’s gentle, soft, and even scared. She needs people in a way he never has. She’s hardworking and caring, she knows how to take care of people, and herself, in ways he’s never learned.
She’s a civilian and offers him the peace and quiet of a normal life. But when the going gets tough, she can keep up, she can make it to safety with him, he can trust her to be right by his side without needing to check every second step.
Character design and drawing are tome-sized topics and even if I had all the answers (I don’t - I have a lot to learn), I’m not sure I could communicate them effectively. I’ve gathered some thoughts and ideas here, though, in case they’re helpful.
First, some general…
These, for me, are the two most depressing paintings in western history. They were painted by post-impressionist Henry de Toulouse-Lautrec, a man who, due to inbreeding, was born with a genetic disorder that prevented his legs from growing after they were broken. After being so thoroughly mocked for is appearance, he became an alcoholic, which is what eventually caused his institutionalization and death. His only known romantic relations were with prostitutes.
And then he paints something like this which is so beautiful and tender and sentimental. It seems like the couple in bed really loves each other—cares about each other. Wakes up happy to look at each other. And I see that love and passion and I wonder how lonely he must have been. I wonder how he could paint something like this without it breaking his heart.
Maybe they say artists should create what they know, not because its unbelievable when they extend themselves beyond their experiences, but because when they pull it off with such elegance, it’s so damn unbearable to look at. I hate thinking of Lautrec, wondering about the lovers he created and knowing it was beyond his experience. Creating something that he knows is beautiful and knows he’ll never really understand.
A few tips everybody should consider. I’ve experienced all those and some more. I’m not good at english but I hope you get it. Go and support some artists out there and let them draw you nice shit. Not as nice as FairyNekoDesu but still will be cool so give them a chance and you’ll be surprised.
All of these things.
Especially the deadline. If you don’t have a deadline thats way in advanced it’s not gonna get done by then. I am almost always taking on a ton of projects at once and sometimes need a break from it to: work on stuff for me, work on stuff for friends, search for jobs, be the work slave of parents, actually relax and try to relief stress, technical difficulties, researching on how to do stuff, ect.
Sometimes it’s done in a day. Sometimes it’s done literally a year later. But I always update the people I work with so they know I haven’t forgotten.
Do NOT rush your commissioner. Let them work at their pace and it will be worth it. Rushing them insures a rush job which will very likely make the quality decline.
All this is true. Also, ref sheets are the most important thing ever. I can’t stress that enough. They make the job A LOT easier (instead of having to compare 10 different pics between each other and see that everything fits, you just look at 1!!) If you plan in commissioning your character a lot, or even if its not yours (like from an anime or something) Either commission one or look for ref sheets of the show (because there are!).
Also i strongly suggest not using Instant Messaging. Information can be lost pretty easily there and it’s hard to come back to it. Use emails instead. The info stays there, and it’s easy to search for it. It’s also an excellent way to keep track of the descriptions, so if either the client or artist made a mistake, you can see the email threads and see who’s right straight away.
also pushy clients LOVE instant messaging. Pls no.
This post is really nice! :D
That means free access to Photoshop CS2 - and that already has most of what you could ask for, really.
All you have to do is create a FREE ADOBE ID.
I am not sure about commercial use, but MAN. FUCKIN’ SWEET DUDE
Reblogging for the greater good.
I’m unlikely to pick it up as I honestly never use PS anymore, but here everyone who follows me. Free stuff.
oh wow this is perfect i was just lamenting that i’d have to buy creative suite for my new laptop WELP
Signal boost for any of my followers who need art programs!
The cs2 programs date back only a few years, and still have much of the functionality of today’s more modern ones. The differences between most of the versions are little more than slight modifications or additions of minor features, and UI changes. Go for it guys!!
Also, in case the page is down, here are the download links + serials.
I think I just heard the music of the spheres
“You don’t just automatically love someone. You slowly learn how to trust them, how to start believing in them. You want to be with them to the point where you’re jealous of anyone else who gets a little of their time. It gets you mad, but you learn to get past it, because you can’t be jealous forever. And then you realize, you don’t even feel jealousy anymore because you have this unwavering confidence that this person will never leave you, never betray you and would never pick someone else over you. They make you feel irreplaceable. That’s when it hits you. You really do love each other and it’s completely unbreakable.”—
thelovenotebook (via thelovenotebook)
Well, even if you haven’t done the things you’re writing about, other people out there have. It’s all about research… which can seem like a bit of a slog and really, really boring, but there’s more to research than hitting the text books…!
I’m assuming you like music to be writing about a rock singer. Pick out some of your favourite bands and see if you can get a hold of any of their tour DVDs. That’s like a backstage pass right from your living room. It also helps to read biographies/autobiographies which give you a taste of the rock star life, as well as the kind of things that can realistically happen during a gig (both on and behind the stage).
Things to keep in mind:
- Famous singers travel around a lot. Tours can last months and sometimes years, so if he’s world-famous (as opposed to locally famous), then it’s likely your rock singer will be bouncing from country-to-country with his band to promote his music and give something back to the fans.
- When the band isn’t touring, they’ll be creating music. Recording and creative sessions can happen pretty much anytime, anywhere. Depending on the kind of sound they want for their tracks, they might have to go for more unconventional recording methods (such as the Foo Fighters’ Wasting Light  being recorded old-school with analog equipment in Dave Grohl’s garage).
- Fame is unforgiving. If your rock singer has hit the big-time, then he won’t be able to move without somebody seeing it. The media has a lot of fun with famous people and the rumours that come to surround them. Fame also brings with it a whole host of unusual, passionate and sometimes down-right bizarre fans. Potentially, there are a lot of conflicts that could get between him and the girl he’s in love with.
Now you just need to look for more detailed information. You can start by checking out some of the resources below, but always seek to go beyond what the internet can offer you…!
- Foo Fighters, Back and Forth (Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four, Part Five, Part Six & Part Seven) [Alternatively, support the official release by purchasing the DVD)
- Paramore, 40 Days of RIOT! (Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four & Part Five)
- Metallica Documentary
- Monsters of Rock
- Slipknot: All Hope Is Gone, The Making Of
Basically, just type your favourite band(s) into Google and add ‘documentary’ on the end to find similar kinds of videos…
I hope this helps you out a little bit, Anon…
Best of luck!
School has started or will very soon so what would be better to do than to gather some great resources for a better school year?
- Evernote - keep your research at one place
- Khan Academy - over 4,200 educational videos
- Mathaway - helps you solve almost every math problem
- Cliffnotes - read and prep for school work
- Studious - great way to keep track of schedule
- iFormulas - references for mathematical formulas
- Pocket - save studies and articles much easier
- Science glossary - for those hard science words
- Studyblue - online flashcards for your next test
- Any.do - daily planner
- Dropbox - don’t rely on your computer alone, make sure your notes and papers are safely uploaded online, just in case.
- Feed.ly - gather all your fav websites for research or whatever in one place - I love this myself!
- Scribd - online library
- Self Control - we all know self control during work or school isn’t always around
- TED - lots of good presentation by interesting people
- Chegg - don’t have all the money for new text books? Chegg lets you rent many text books for much less than it costs to buy
- Duolingo - learning a new language? Then I’ll recommend this one
- Mint.com - make sure you’ve got your money straight
- Alarmy - hard to get up in the morning? Well, this alarm makes you take a picture of your sink to turn it off!
- Sworkit - don’t forget that exercise will make it easier to concentrate!
Don’t forget to look at my 27 websites for a new year - where you can find lots of other resources for health, fitness, school/work and div when starting a new year(school year too)
I’ve also got a post called 53 posts for students which contains nutrition and fitness posts especially for students!